John and I just got back from our free (FREE!) Bahamas cruise!
(Okay fine, $9. There were some fancy Italian desserts that weren't free, and we splurged.)
I won this cruise for participating in a political poll. I think the pollsters were tired of people hanging up on them, so they created an incentive system. When they said I'd win a free cruise trip (for 2) if I answered their questions, I thought it was bogus but completed the poll anyway. And as soon as I finished, they transferred me to Caribbean Cruise Lines and booked me and John on a cruise.
Finally, someone who really values my political opinions!
John, on the other hand, thought this was a total hoax. Even as we were sitting in our taxi, heading towards the Port of Palm Beach to board our cruise, John still bet there'd be no boat.
He was pleasantly surprised when he saw this. An actual boat! See??
We got our keys, walked up the gangway, and found our room. John and I both started laughing when we got inside. Our room was like a dark, windowless closet. We were thinking maybe we should have paid money and upgraded to something a little cushier. Next time...
The views were pristine
If I were an animal (probably a dolphin), I'd live in these waters
The food was fabulous, free, and bottomless
John and I read "The Host" together during the cruise. We meant to only skim a few chapters and then put it away, but we both got totally hooked. It's like a science fiction book for people who don't normally like science fiction. The book lends itself to lots of discussion, and it was fun to make predictions about how the different plots would resolve.
And, Hollywood just made a movie for this book, which comes to theaters next March. Hooray! If you haven't read "The Host" yet, run to the library and get it!
We passed the ghost ship from Pirates of the Caribbean (which was filmed in the Bahamas)
I somehow sweet-talked John into being a contestant on Caribbean Idol, the cruise version of American Idol. It was like glorified karaoke, the main difference being that the audience was actually listening (and voting), and there was a nice cash prize for the winner. I was positive John would win, and... I just really wanted that money!
He did not win. Darn it! I actually think people with a blood alcohol level of at least .2% have an advantage in these situations! John's song was perfect, but he may have been a little stiff compared to some of the other contestants, who were more flamboyant and uninhibited and really worked the crowd. Oh well.
If John was on real American Idol, Steven Tyler would have said, "that was beautiful," and Randy would have yelled, "check it out dawg!"
We went snorkeling on a coral reef
Hello fish!
I wish cheap underwater cameras could capture colors better. John and I were both startled by how bright and vibrant it was down there. The fish were gorgeous.
We saw lots of exotic, intimidating birds (and remained calm so they wouldn't claw our eyes out)
Super Dolphin!
Honestly, check out her vertical. We were so impressed.

John wasn't even a bit nervous to swim with the dolphins
Obviously, this was the highlight of my life! I can now die happy.
The cruise went from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. Just Florida, to the Bahamas, and back to Florida. It was short (for a cruise), but we missed Benson and Cole terribly and were anxious to get back. It was tough not being able to communicate with the boys for 3 days. My parents babysat them and did a masterful job-- they obviously know a thing or two about children.
Thank you Mom and Dad!
So, if a pollster ever offers you a free cruise as a reward for your political opinions, they just might be serious!

9 comments:
"Lucky!" with Napoleon Dynamite voice. Wow, what an incentive not to hang up on people!!
Ummm... that's soo cool!! I've never heard of someone actually getting a cruise:-) Glad you had an incredible trip!
I second Bethany's comment with a Napolean Dynamite voice "Lucky!" Hee hee! So I should have pushed dad to not hang up the phone so many years ago when we all won a free trip to Paris! Man! Nuts! So... Ellie is going to DIE when she sees that you swam with the Dolphins. Her absolute favorite animal in the whole world is a dolphin. She watches dolphin shows on You-tube for fun, sleeps with her pillow pet dolphin, and asked Marcus to dig a big pool in the backyard for one and planned to ask her friend Reese to borrow her fishing pole so Ellie could go out and "catch one" to bring home for a pet... she is going to LOVE seeing that you guys swam with one and be so sad that she wasn't there to join you! Party on you guys! I don't know how you get everything done, go on trips, spend hours as mom and dad and hours as working peeps, are in MED SCHOOL and still manage to stay sane! You guys are GO, GO, GO!!!! :) Take a nice quiet nap sometime to catch up! I'm seriously impressed with your stamina! I need a trip to the bahamas - please refer your pollster to me next time he calls! hee hee! Love you!
Hooray! I am so happy for you two! You deserve it...and a better room next time too. :)
Todd and I are cracking up! I won the cruise as well! BUT halfway through the call with the cruise people, Todd made me hang up the phone because he thought it was a scam. Look who's laughing now!!!!
glad you had a good time.....missed seeing you!
I always get those "free" cruise coupons randomly in the mail and just dismissed them...but maybe I'll look into them a little more next time! Glad you had fun!
wow how cool is that! looks like loads of fun for the both of you. $9 bucks for a cruise is the STEAL of the day!
That's crazy and hilarious. :)
Post a Comment