October 20, 2011

A Case for Having Children

If you thought you heard a faint, primal scream around 3:30 this afternoon, you weren't imagining things.  The scream was real, and it was from me, because on my way to get something out of our basement food storage, I almost stepped on this:

 Gus.  
Cause of death: unknown.

I was beside myself.  I almost vomited out of stress.  Mice are NOT my domain.  John was on call and would still be at the hospital for several hours, so it was up to me to take care of the mouse.  I thought back to my pioneer foremothers, who had to do wild things like chop rattlesnakes with an ax, or protect their baby from wolves. And I knew they were looking down at me, shaking their heads in shame.  

Enter the hero.  Benson coaxed me down from my standing position on the couch.  He said he would handle the mouse situation.  He went to the basement, put the mouse in this bucket, and carefully carried it upstairs.  

Look at that calmness!  That courage!  That presence of mind!
He did not inherit any of those things from me.  

And this is where Gus is currently buried, and will be until the garbage truck picks him up on Monday to haul him away to his final resting place.  But before we feel too sorry for the mouse, let's not forget that he made a WRONG CHOICE.

Anyway, I was bursting my buttons for Benson's bravery today.  I felt like making him a medal, but he acted like it was no big deal.  It's times like this that make me so glad I have children.  Phew.

12 comments:

Bethany said...

Our neighbors across the street had a son they dubbed "Marcus the bug squisher" because neither of the parents could handle bugs. It's why we procreate, after all.

Bethany said...

Our neighbors across the street had a son they dubbed "Marcus the bug squisher" because neither of the parents could handle bugs. It's why we procreate, after all.

Jeannette said...

That is so gross! If I ever find a mouse I may have to borrow your little superhero!

BWei said...

Oh I hear you. We had a few (live) field mice in our house in Augusta and I FLIPPED out. At least it was dead, but still. Way to go Benson!

Jackie said...

YIKES! Benson is brave indeed. I remember standing next to my mom at the grocery store check-out once, and she told the bagger that her kids would take care of the bags because "that's why she had children after all." I remember looking at her in horror and thinking, "THAT'S why you had us?!"

Yes, Jackie of years past, that is why she had you.

Rebecca & Kyle Moore said...

oh my. yuck! way to go Benson!

stephanie itri said...

Great job Benson! I HATE mice! There is no way I would have handled that situation. When we moved a few years ago I called Ed Kline to get a mouse in our kitchen, he was working but sent over one of Jess' brothers to get it. I was NOT embarrassed! They terrify me. Need to start prepping Reagan for such times, I think.

Kristi said...

Cute, brave little Benson!! I'm sorry you ran across such an unpleasant surprise! Glad Benson saved the day!

Sook said...

yikes. i would have fainted myself... i probably would have let matty take care of the business as well... lol

Tim and Sara said...

Benson is amazing. I miss you guys. I've been meaning to tell you that I have a Nikon D40 and an 18-55 mm lens. It's the same camera we've had for a while. I still have no idea how to use it. I think I just get lucky every now and then since it's a great camera. :)

Charles said...

Well...I have personally witnessed people killing a mouse by stepping on it but not knowing they were stepping on the mouse at the time. Look at it as you pioneer instincts and faith took over. Instinctively you killed it, but then you looked back and instead of turning to salt, you were just cursed to stand on the coach.

Shapiro said...

Karisa, you should consider writing a book. You are hilarious. This post leaves two questions in my mind... what killed the mouse in the basement in the first place? hmmm. Does he have any family living close by? And... what did Benson pick the mouse up with? His bare hands? :) Okay, that's three questions. Gus did look cute but kudos to you guys for your exceptional bravery and honorable handling of the mouse... Maybe Benson should reconsider his "future careers" list for himself and go into pest-control! :) Love you guys!