November 14, 2009

People Watching

I went to the Phoenix airport today to pick up John, who was flying back after one of his residency interviews. (Did I ever mention we're living with John's family right now? We're with the McAllisters in AZ this month and the Babbels in PA next month. John will be busy flying all over the country for his interviews, so Benson and I can play with family while John's out slaying the dragons.) Anyway, I was in the Phoenix airport waiting for John to arrive, sitting in a long line of chairs facing the people as they walk off their planes. There were about 20 other people also sitting by me, all waiting to greet their travelers.

John's flight was a little late, so I got to sit in my chair for a while and observe lots of reunions. It was so heart-warming to watch people step off their planes and reunite with their loved ones. There was one in particular though that made me cry. (Admittedly, I am pregnant, but I think this would have brought tears to my eyes even in a non-hormonally-altered state.) I was sitting close to an elderly woman (maybe 85) with a walker, very wrinkly skin, and white wispy hair. She was leaning forward in her chair, scanning the crowds of busy travelers, when she spotted an equally elderly man shuffling slowly towards her. She sprang up (kind of), and with the help of her walker she made her way as fast as she could towards her man. He had a HUGE smile on his face and when they met in the middle, he pushed aside her walker, pulled her in tight and gave her a really long, romantic kiss.

And it made me cry. It gave me hope that after John and I have been married for 65 years, when our teeth and hair have all fallen out, when osteoporosis has taken over our bodies and dementia has taken over our minds, we'll still be MADLY IN LOVE!

5 comments:

kimberly said...

That is really sweet! :-)

Grossarths said...

Okay, that made me cry and I didn't even see it (and I'm not pregnant either!)

Jana said...

That is so cute! We just found out you are expecting. Congratulations! We are so happy for the three of you. Good luck with interviews.

Stephanie said...

Ohh, that is SO sweet. :) I'm excited for John to head out this way on his interview tour! Hopefully I'll get to see him for a bit on Saturday. Yay!

Joy and Ted said...

I have no doubt you'll be just like that. :)