September 15, 2008

Toe Ring Gang Forever

About 10 years ago, some of my Philadelphia friends and I started up a gang. It wasn't a gang gang--we operated on about the same speed as the Buttercream Gang. (Has anyone else seen that movie?) Anyway, we all had toe rings, so we called ourselves the Toe Ring Gang. Keep in mind that toe rings were very fashionable a decade ago.


Also keep in mind that overalls were very fashionable a decade ago.


Anyway, we had a little reunion this past weekend in Richmond, VA. (Jackie and Joy live in Richmond now, so Chelsey and I came out for a visit.) We had a BLAST! Here's Jackie, Chelsey, Joy, and I holding our kiddos. (And actually, Jackie borrowed her child in this picture, Jillian, from Chelsey.) It was a really fun weekend-- I lived with all of these girls as roommates at BYU, and it felt just like the good old days to be back with them again.


We had a little stroller brigade around Joy's neighborhood.


We played Rook every night, and Kevin kept smearing us! (He's the only one smiling in this picture-- he's probably about to make another good move.)


On Saturday, we went to Maymont Park, and they randomly had a black bear den in the middle of the park! Cool, huh? It's one thing to see bears while at the zoo, but for some reason it's more exciting when you're at a park and you aren't expecting to see anything.


We also saw this a cute gray fox at the park. He reminded me of Todd from "Fox and the Hound."


Here's Benson trying to pet a goat.


After walking around the park for a while, we sat down for a fun picnic lunch. From the left to the right, you've got Kevin holding Jillian, Chelsey holding Peter, me holding Benson, Joy holding her knee, and Ted holding Amelia.


After our park trip, we hustled back to Joy and Ted's house to watch the BYU-UCLA football game. Doug (Jackie's husband) played with Benson a lot during the game, and he didn't even flinch when Benson projectile spit-upped all over him! What a champ!


BYU walloped UCLA 59-0. Yep, OUCH! What do you say as the coach? BYU really wasn't trying to run up the score-- it was all of our third-string players on the field, and UCLA had plenty of opportunities to score, but they just couldn't get their act together.


Our cute little burritos: Peter, Benson, and Amelia. We hope they become as good friends as their parents are, and maybe one day they can start up their own gang! (Hopefully not the Nose Ring Gangsters!)

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

The Buttercream Gang! Ohhhh, I think my mom bought every single one of those Feature Films for Families movies. And she was kind of upset that we didn't watch all of them.
But I did like Split Infinity... that was cool.

BWei said...

So fun--I miss all of you girls!

Tim and Sara said...

A. Benson looks like a gangster in the burrito pic - keep an eye on that kid.

B. Please tell me there was fence between you and that bear!

Jackie said...

Yay!! It was so fun to see you guys, projectile-spitting-up and all. :)

PS- That pic of us from EFY long ago proves that I should never allow pictures to be taken of me when I'm laughing. Eesh.

Jackie said...

I used to be obsessed with toe rings and loved the Buttercream Gang. You're not alone!

Joy and Ted said...

What a great post Karisa! I'm so glad you took so many photos and I loved your captions. In fact, I love it so much that I am sending anyone who looks at my blog to your blog. Is that okay? It's really the ultimate blogging compliment. :) Have fun this weekend!

Jessica and Todd said...

Hey Karisa! I'm lovin the toe rings:) Thanks for your comment on our blog! Hope you guys have an awesome time in Philly this weekend!

Tammy Engebretsen said...

I loved seeing you girls all together again, it brings back a lot of happy memories for me too. Thanks for taking lots of pictures and posting them for all to enjoy. Have a great week end with Tyson - wish we could be there. Amy and I are busy, busy getting her ready to go to Norway, she is excited, nervous, happy... all those things. Love you!! oxoxo

Jessica and Todd said...

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome books for Malia. They are so cute, we are way excited to be able to read them to her on the outside. If she ever decides to come out:) Thanks again, hope you had fun on your trip!