August 26, 2008

Introducing... THE GREAT WHITE!

Last night, with heavy hearts we sold our faithful 1995 Honda Accord, "Midnight." Midnight was our trusty car for several years--it was there with us on our first date, it was there the first time John kissed me (on my forehead!), it was right with us moving to and from the first 4 homes we've lived in as a married couple, it took us across the country multiple times, it was there the day we discovered we were having a boy, etc. Recently though, there have been a lot of repair problems (see above picture) and we've been putting tons of money towards maintenance. So John and I decided to trade it in for a newer, more reliable car. We posted Midnight on craigslist.com for a very low price, and we were explicitly honest with the condition of the car, all of the recent repairs we've done and which repairs still needed to be completed. Within a few hours of posting the ad, we had 12 families calling and e-mailing to schedule test drives. We sold Midnight to a couple who is desperate for a car to get the husband to and from his job as a restaurant dish washer. The husband is very talented at car repairs, so he'll be able to keep the car maintained. They were SO GRATEFUL to have the car, even knowing the problems with it. So it worked out great for everyone!


Meanwhile, John and I were test driving lots of used cars in the area, getting up the hopes of car salesmen all over Milwaukee, and we found this 2007 Hyundai Accent that had everything we wanted and needed. After debating between "Ned" and "The Great White," we've decided to name the car "The Great White." (It's got a jagged line design down the side, so it just looks kind of tough and sharky.) Anyway, it drives well and feels great and we're thrilled to have it! Our only problem is that we don't know how to pronounce "Hyundai" when we tell people about our new car. Is it "Hun-die" or "Hun-day" or as our car salesman called it, "He-yun-day-I?"

7 comments:

BWei said...

Congrats on the new car! And how wonderful that your old car went to someone who will be so blessed by it. That's hilarious about pronouncing "Hyundai"--I've wondered the same thing myself!

cheryl said...

Hey guys! David would tell you it's -"He-yun-day." I guess you could trust him since he served his mission in Korea. I say it the other way to annoy him sometimes. Good to know you guys are all doing well.

hagsbabs said...

Wow--you guys are professional car namers now. I guess it's good practice for naming kids! And it all started with Paco...

Charles said...

I remember that car well. I also remember John driving 90 mph while we sang hymns on the way back from Goblin Valley. Good times! Unfortunately I recall the experience caused a broken engine mount. The car shook violently!

Sook said...

It's pronounced as "Hyun-dae" It's a Korean brand so I should know right? So if anyone butchers the pronunciation, you can correct them. Just use me as a reference. :) Congrats on the new car!

T & E's Blog said...

Yay!!! Congrats!

T & E's Blog said...

I can totally relate to how you feel about Midnight. Our Eddie (the Explorer) keeps chugging along. He has over 150,000 miles...and he too is where we had our first kiss!!! Erin