May 1, 2013

The Old 1-2-3 Punch

Ahhh.  As I type this, the house is silent and I'm indulging in leftover racecar birthday cake and cookie dough ice cream.  I definitely deserve this, after pulling off another round of McAllister Birthday Week!  3 boys, 3 birthdays, 1 week.  It sounds like the Physical Challenge from the gameshow Double Dare.  It really is a fun week, it's just a lot of effort (and expense) to do all the decorations, food, activities, presents, and cake for 3 back-to-back birthday celebrations.

Each birthday boy gets to plan the dinner menu for their special day.  Try to figure out who chose what: 
A) Spaghetti and meatballs, orange jello, corn, green beans, rolls.

B) Spinach/tomato/pine nut orzo, baguettes, sauteed mushrooms, oranges, broccoli.

C) Pigs in a blanket, berries, Granny Janny's potato salad, green beans, corn.

(I'll put the answers at the bottom...)

 
Benson's big birthday present this year was a bike.  He rides it every day as if there's no tomorrow.

And here we are with Benson's Batman cake and his "Benson ist funf!" crown from school.

A bunch of buddies came over to celebrate John's birthday.  (About 12 additional people arrived after this picture was taken-- our house was packed to the hilt!)  John got a banana cake with maple frosting this year.

(It was a team effort to blow out all 31 candles.) 

John's main present this year was a rowing machine, circa 1986.  I promise, he requested this!  If John gave me a Thighmaster or other exercise equipment for my birthday, I would cry, but he seemed genuinely delighted when I presented him the rowing machine.  

(And boy, this little machine gives us a great full-body workout.)  

 And for Cole's 3rd birthday, he finally got to climb to the top of the bunk bed.  He's been waiting for this privilege for over a year.  Benson spotted him for his first ascent!

Cole is obsessed with his new birthday present, a cash register!  Maybe he'll work at a grocery store one day.

And the racecar cake.  Not much on looks, but big on taste. 

I'm ready for my 355 day rest before trying this again!

The answers to the dinners above were: A) Benson, B) John, C) Cole.  You probably figured that Cole wasn't the one to request the spinach orzo!

3 comments:

OCCE said...

Nice racecar cake! You need to take a nice long nap after all those birthdays. :-)

Mary Jane said...

Wow~those 3 birthday meals all look delicious and colorful. I'm impressed that only one of your boys chose pigs in a blanket. That was the most requested birthday meal in our house for decades.

Shapiro said...

Happy Birthday belated to all of the Macs! We did banana maple cake for Isaac for his birthday in May too! Great taste in tastes taste alike I guess! We wish we could come and try out your rower John and come play w/ the boys. We miss all of you!
Love you!