September 2, 2012

Cole's Race

I made a dumb plan years ago that I've stuck with-- after having a baby, I need to train for a half-marathon to get back in shape.  No exceptions.  If I have 20 kids, I'll run 20 half-marathons.  Yesterday was my race dedicated to Cole.  (And yes, he's almost 2 1/2 now.  I've been procrastinating!)  

John, my friend Jenny, and I started training for the race in May.  Here's an honorable mention to our (sometimes) patient children who came along for our runs!  We gradually worked up our mileage from 3 miles at the beginning of the summer, to 13 miles at the end of the summer.

--BEFORE the race--
Can you sense the butterflies in our stomachs?

--DURING the race--
The course was gorgeous.  The beautiful scenery helped pass the time.

--AFTER the race--
HOORAY!  John had pretty impressive ups for having just run 13 miles.

Our knees and legs didn't work very well for the rest of Saturday, and John and I tried to minimize any walking or stair climbing we had to do.  We honestly looked like 90 year-olds by the way we were moving around.  As John and I were lying in bed on Saturday night, watching Downton Abbey on the laptop, I lamented to John that I unfortunately needed to make a trip downstairs one more time to brush my teeth.  He slipped out of the room and returned with a beautiful tray for... TOOTHPASTE IN BED!  (Similar to Breakfast in Bed.) 

Either my breath smelled horrible (and John was desperately trying to fix it), or I married a thoughtful guy.  (Someone who even thinks to bring me an empty bowl to spit in!) 

4 comments:

Lynn said...

good job on the 1/2 marathon! impressive! maybe a full marathon next on the list for you????

Mary Jane said...

That is an impressive jump by John after running a half-marathon. But, the toothpaste in bed takes the cake for being impressive!

Stephanie said...

Haha! I love the teeth brushing in bed. So perfect. We also just got on the Downton Abbey kick. So addicting!

Clara said...

Congrats on the 1/2 marathon!!! I did one in high school and I remember how sore I was!! We love Downtown Abbey! We pay for one month of Hulu plus $7.99 and then watch a whole season in one month. Cheaper then buying it from Itunes. :)