My parents just flew to Milwaukee for their annual check-in.
During one of our phone conversations leading up to their big visit, my mom gently suggested that maybe we could explore new parts of Wisconsin this time. (This might be because I had almost exhausted my Milwaukee ideas list during their last visit, and I stooped to touring them around Jeffrey Dahmer's old house and the local homeless shelter.)
So when my parents arrived, they rented a huge car and we all jumped in and road-tripped it up to Door County Wisconsin, AKA the Cape Cod of the Midwest. We spent 2 days in Door County, but most of the fun was concentrated on one perfect day.
We kicked it off at the White Gull Inn, which was featured on Good Morning America as one of the top 10 breakfast spots in the USA. They weren't joking.
Here's a closer view. That's my cherry-stuffed french toast up there, and it was to die for! Our friends said they sometimes drive the 3 hour trip to Door County JUST for this breakfast, and now we understand why.
Afterwards we walked along the bay for a while.
(This picture would have been our 2012 Christmas picture if it weren't for my hair! If you zoom in closer you'll see what I mean.)
To burn off our cherry french toast, we rented bikes in Peninsula State Park and rode around for a few hours. The views were gorgeous, we saw lots of wildlife, and the time flew by.
During our ride, we parked our bikes and toured this lighthouse.
This is the master bedroom of the lighthouse. John and I have been toying with the idea of adding a master bathroom to our house (we just have one bathroom that we all share), but I really admire this couple's inexpensive solution to the same dilemma.
Just checking out the huge lighthouse lights
More biking...
We ate gourmet ice cream while watching sailboats float by.
(Gourmet meaning they had flavors like Zanzibar Chocolate.)
Mom and I went shopping while Dad and John kindly volunteered to babysit the boys in the car.
We went to one of the famous fish boils for dinner. Here's the fishermen preparing our meal.
And the grand finale! That's our dinner in those flames. I figured all of the fishy taste would be long gone with the fire, so I tried the fish along with everyone else, and it actually tasted delicious.
To anyone who's keeping track (God?), that's TWO voluntary fish eatings for me in the past month!
After dinner, we played a little more by the bay.
We are so refreshed and recharged right now. This Door County getaway was exactly what we needed. If you want anything from John or me, this week is a great week to ask, since we're still basking in our wonderful vacation.
1 comment:
I totally laughed at both the master bedroom & "babysitting" pictures. :) And that breakfast looks amazing! We might need to come visit Wisconsin just for that.
Post a Comment