September 17, 2011

Briggs & Al's Run

My friends and I (and several thousand other people) ran an 8K race this morning in downtown Milwaukee.  All the proceeds went to the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, which is where Benson stayed when he had pneumonia, and also where I delivered both boys.  It was a good cause.

Here's the BEFORE picture.  That's me under the hat, then Dianne, Katie, and Jenny.  These guys are great running partners!  

And these little running partners were great today too.  (Except for one bout of noncompliance, but it didn't last long.) John was busy in Madison at an ophthalmology conference, and my babysitter fell through at the last minute, so I decided to just push the boys.  Between Dianne, Katie, Jenny and me (and one other random runner who took a turn!), we got these boys across the finish line. 

Just for the record...
-Cole weighs 20 pounds
-Benson weighs 30 pounds
-The stroller weighs 35 pounds
-All our water bottles, warm-up clothes, blanket, toys, snacks, sunglasses, keys, and cell phones weighed about 10 more pounds
TOTAL WEIGHT: 95 pounds

I knew I'd be slower than usual because of the stroller, so here's my shirt I decorated.
(And phew, there were literally tons of people behind us!)

And 50 minutes later... here is our AFTER picture.  WE DID IT!  We didn't win any medals, but feel free to mail us one, since we really did a great job and pushed that heavy load the whole way.

This was actually a very enjoyable race and it was therapeutic for me, since my last race two years ago was a DISASTER!  (That's when I didn't know I was pregnant with Cole and was really sick while running a 1/2 marathon.)  But after today, I once again have a positive image in my mind of how much fun a race can be.  Thanks Katie, Dianne, and Jenny for the rehab!

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

SOOOO jealous I couldn't join you guys! But that looks like so much fun...glad you guys were able to do that! And way to go with the stroller!!!! I know from experience how exhausting pushing 2 kids and a stroller can be!!!!!

Jackie said...

Karisa, you crack me up. I love your shirt and I love your attitude... I'm so glad you and your friends rocked that race!

The Leakes said...

Great post, and great memories! I sure love that after picture. Karisa, you were the only one with enough energy to get your legs up and my face just looks pained!

Jessica and Todd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica and Todd said...

You guys are real troopers hauling the stroller! Too bad I wasn't running the race, I could have been the answer to your prayer shirt. I'm glad you fun.