March 22, 2011

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

John and I are itching to travel to Ireland.  It's on our top 3 list of countries to visit.  (Scotland first, then Ireland, and we'll also swing by South Africa.)  It's supposed to look like "beauty exaggerated," or like an enchanted fairy tale.  One day we will make it there!

Ahhhh.  Yes, definitely what the doctor ordered.

In the meantime, we brought Ireland to our home last week for our playgroup's annual St. Patrick's Day Festival.  For two hours, we had 25 people bursting the seams of our house for a wild celebration of... um, shamrocks? snakes being banished from Ireland?  I'm a little fuzzy on the details of the holiday, but it was fun nonetheless.


The way to accommodate big crowds at our house is to spread people throughout the different rooms.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture with everyone together, but here's a few snippets...  


Station 1: Snacks.  The lime smoothies were guzzled.


 Station 2: Shamrock Coloring Contest


 Station 3: Irish folktales.  (Okay, I couldn't find any and didn't have time to run by the library, so we settled for books about green things.)

Station 4: (no pictures) Leprechaun Hunt


Station 5: River Dance

I wanted my professional dance instructor friend to lead this segment of the St. Patty's activity, but she had a baby four days earlier and wasn't quite up for doing Irish step dancing.   Understandable.  So we settled for showing the kids a youtube video and told them to copy the moves. 

Inspiring!  

Anyways, we had a great time.  The only thing we didn't have time to do was dye our neighborhood river green.  Our party wasn't quite authentically Irish, but I guess we'll have to travel to Ireland for that. 

6 comments:

Leah said...

"If they can dye the river green for St. Paddy's day why can't they dye it blue the other 364 days of the year?"

Name that movie.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

BWei said...

So fun! I am always impressed with your parties/get-togethers. And I vote that our families go to Ireland together--it's one of the places I want to go, too!

Janet said...

Looks like a blast! Stop by and see us in Switzerland when you are in the area!

Shapiro said...

Okay! I'm glad Scotland is at the top of your list too... I've been thinking of proposing that we got to Scotland all together rather than the Philippines all together... what do you guys think?
Love you and can't wait for one day in Zion when we will hopefully have mansions next door to each other... or sooner if we can all coordinate that. :)

Anonymous said...

Karisa,

Almost thou persuadeth me to visit Ireland too!

Dad

McAllister Family said...

How fun! I've been to Scotland and Ireland and they are as fabulous as you dream! What a fun party!