February 18, 2011

Valentine Cookie Rocket Science

This is the latest activity we did with the church Primary kids.  We're actually submitting one of these pictures to The Friend magazine!  

1) You take 100 sugar cookies.

 2) Spread on the frosting-- strawberry, fudge, cream cheese, or a delicious-looking mixture of all three.

3) Next comes the toppings.  With kids, I learned that: 
MORE = BETTER
(They would show us their cookie smothered with thick layers of M&Ms, cinnamon bears, conversation hearts, and sprinkles, and we'd say things like, "WOW! All of the adults are going to be fighting over who gets to eat that one!" The kids were so proud.)

Here's another shot of the innovative cookie decorators...


4) Next stop: sign all of the valentines.

5) Help decorate the cookie boxes.

6) Deliver the cookies along with a singing telegram.
On Sunday during church, the kids sang (and signed) "Love One Another" to all of the different classes at church.  They sang for every class, from the toddlers all the way up to the old people (us adults).  The Primary kids were so excited to do the visits, and everyone in the different audiences was beaming during the song.  (And most people were brave enough to sample the cookies too!)

One of the teenage girls in our church is deaf, and she had an ENORMOUS smile and tears in her eyes as she watched the Primary kids do the sign language.  I'm so glad the kids learned it for her.

This last picture is the one we're submitting to The Friend magazine.  Keep a lookout!  The kids can't wait to be famous!  

6 comments:

Joy and Ted said...

I want to be in your Primary! It makes me want to move our kids to a smaller ward because you are able to do so many great things with your little group. Happy belated Valentine's day to you!

Shapiro said...

I love it! What a precious moment for those kids and people in the ward!

Jackie said...

What a great idea! I may have to steal this one. :)

Lynn said...

wow what a cute idea! hey did you know that there were pics of our seminary group and the south philly branch in the church newspaper back in the day. I have a copy of it somewhere home. I was famous once.....hehe

McAllister Family said...

Cute kiddos! I LOVE primary!

Micah C said...

Waaa! I only recognize a few of those kids. It looks like it was a great day. We miss our Milwaukee family.