December 20, 2010

Pneumonia

Benson is currently in the hospital for pneumonia and bronchospasms (really bad wheezing).  We don't how he got this-- our main guess is that one of John's adult patients passed the germs to John who inadvertently passed it to Benson.  Benson spent yesterday afternoon in Urgent Care, this morning in the ER, and now he's an inpatient at the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.  (It's the 2nd best pediatric hospital in the USA, and it's actually REALLY fancy!  Benson is in great hands.)


He spends a lot of his awake time hooked up to nebulizers and inhalers, and when he sleeps he gets an oxygen tank strapped to his face.


In case you're wondering, this is what pneumonia looks like.  I took this video of Benson this morning when he was still lying in his bed.  He breathes more than once per second, and he has to use all of his abdominal muscles to do it.  He's gone downhill really fast, and is exhausted from the struggle.  A related problem of this is that he won't eat, drink, and will hardly talk.

I'm sorry to be so negative.  It's just hard to watch your child fight so hard to breathe. 


We were hoping it would just be a quick overnight stay at the hospital, but Benson is still really struggling, so the latest is that he'll be in there for at least 2 more days.  We're hoping he stabilizes and starts to climb out of this funk tomorrow.  


And on a brighter note, here are Benson's first visitors!  Mao and Yeng came to cheer us all up.  You can't tell, but they're smiling.  These guys are great.

John and I are alternating shifts to stay with Benson at the hospital, and while John is at work we're outsourcing Cole to friends (since I'll be with Benson).  So if you're bored, grab a face mask and come on over!  Children's Hospital, room #1010 West.  (Think 10 fingers, 10 toes.)

And in the meantime, please keep this good boy in your prayers.

13 comments:

Bethany said...

Ick, that looks miserable. We're praying for him and for your family. As a side note, I'm impressed you documented with a video--I think we all talk about "remember how sick he felt" times, but we never have proof. Now you do!

Charles said...

We can empathized. When Sydney was 9 months old she was hospitalized for 3 days with Rota Virus. A little kid in the hospital is one of the most depressing sights. I was hospitalized for five days with pneumonia when I was little. It was not a fun experience and I was old enough to know what was going on. We will definately keep him in our prayers. I hope you find some way to get some sleep so you can keep you health up too.

Danielle said...

Sick kids are the worst! Seriously, i can't even stand it. Dallin was put into the hospital TWICE for scarlet fever. Watching him was one of the hardest things ever. I'm thinking and praying for your sweet little boy!

kimberly said...

Poor thing! That was Ethan last year...it's VERY difficult having a child in the hospital. Not only because you're worried about them, but it is hard to manage everything else (ie - other children, shift changes, errands that can't wait, etc.). I wish we lived closer so we could help out...

We're thinking of you, hope Benson gets better soon, and hope that you and John are able to get enough sleep, etc. so that you aren't sick yourselves once Benson gets home. Keep us updated!

BWei said...

Oh I'm sorry! We will definitely keep you guys in our prayers. Thank goodness you guys are in good hands at a good hospital. On a more positive note, I loved the pics of your anniversary and wedding--can't believe that was five years ago!

stephanie itri said...

oh Karisa and John we are thinking of you and praying for Bensen. We are sad to hear of his struggles and wish him a very speedy recovery!!

Tim and Sara said...

We would be there in a heartbeat if we could. Love you guys so much and hope Benson continues to recover quickly.

Sook said...

I am so sorry, Karisa. I read he's doing better on facebook. Poor Benson!

hagsbabs said...

We are hoping and praying that Benson kicks this thing quickly!

Echo said...

Oh Karisa we've been praying and thinking about Benson since we saw your Facebook post. I hope he's doing better. He's one of our favorite little guys in the whole world! Nolan suggested that we ask Santa to help Benson for Christmas, so that's what we've done. I'm pretty sure it will work too, but just in case we'll be crossing our fingers. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and that the little guy is at home to open his presents!

Jackie said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I pray he's home now or heading there soon.

Rebecca & Kyle Moore said...

your video is heartbreaking to watch! I almost cried- I took some video when Esther was sick when kyle was gone to show him how sick she was and I cried all over again when I watched it. So glad he's feeling better!

Shalet said...

that video of him breathing just breaks my heart. I'm so GLAD he's feeling better. You've been in our thoughts and prayers.