October 2, 2010

Missing 2 Hands

A friend of mine (Nickie) gave a good tip for when John is doing his hospital wards months and never home.  (Or when he's home, he's a zombie because of lack of sleep.)  I should just go about my life, do fun things with the kids each day, and expect to do everything alone.  And then if John is ever able to join us, it'll be an exciting surprise!  But if I wait around to live life for when John is home (and has the energy to go out), I'll lose patience, go crazy, and become a nagging wife!   (Nickie didn't use those exact words, but you know what I mean.)

So, I kicked off Day 1 of John's never-at-home month with the kiddos at the pumpkin patch.  It seemed like a good idea when I thought it, but it's actually tricky doing this activity with only 2 hands.  (1 hand for Cole, 1 hand for Benson, no hands for the 4 pumpkins.)  

And also no hands to take a picture of us.  Here's attempt #1 with the 10-second automatic timer.  Benson wasn't quick enough...

 Okay, try again boys, but run even faster this time!  And say 'cheese' while you run!

 Almost made it...

Nailed it!!!  (Okay I'll be honest, this wasn't an automatic timer shot.  A pumpkin patch worker who was amused watching our camera races came over and took the picture.)

So I've added a caveat to Nickie's advice: go about your life doing fun things with the kids, but if the activity requires an extra set of hands, invite a friend!

7 comments:

Tim and Sara said...

Way to go, Karisa! I hope these next two months just fly by for you guys! I would have come with you if we were there. :)

Chelsea said...

I had a friend tell me something before Kevin started law school: "Just pretend he's dead. Then you'll be so happy every time you do see him." :) That's what your story reminded me of.

Julie and Jesse said...

Ugh I am NOT looking forward to residency. I only have 2 1/2 more years before that dreaded time. It looks like Cole and Benson are good company :-D

Leah said...

I will be your friend, make you a meal or watch your kids, take your picture or whatever. Please call!!!

Bradbury Bunch said...

LOVE. THIS.

That describes PERFECTLY how outings go without the hubbs--I guess I failed to mention THIS part to you. Ummm....sorry???

I'm happy to see you survived and still got an adorable picture in the end!! What about a pumpkin?? LOL

Cheers to Residency Life! CHEERS to Residency WIVES!! They say this is a TIME TO REMEMBER!! ;)

Joy and Ted said...

I need to keep that in mind too as Ted's travel schedule is non-stop this month. Give me a call during one of your quiet evenings alone!

McAllister Family said...

I can totally relate to these pictures! I need a few more hands too! Sure wish we lived close to you guys, then we could brave the pumpkin patch together!