May 27, 2010

Paging Dr. McAllister...

We moved to Milwaukee in 2006 for John to start med school. We were young, naive, and full of hope for a bright future.

And now...


...4 years, 2 kids, a few gray hairs, and $200 grand debt later, John has officially earned 2 initials after his name: M.D.
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!


Humor me, I'm about to brag about my husband. This is during the Awards Banquet. John was shocked-- shocked-- during the final award of the evening when the CEO got up to announce John as the recipient of the... hottest med student award! Just kidding, the Millmann Award.

The description says, "This award is given to the senior student who, through thoughtful care of patients and enthusiastic acquisition of skills and knowledge, best exemplifies the characteristics of the ideal physician... The recipient of the award is selected by the members of the graduating class and is considered to be the outstanding candidate for the degree of Doctor of Medicine."

I wasn't shocked that John got this honor, but I'm biased.


Here's John with the CEO and Dean of Medical College of Wisconsin, both congratulating him after the big award.

Here's what John's plaque says:
This memorial is dedicated to the memory of 1st Lt. William H. Millmann
Graduated from Marquette University School of Medicine October 1943
Died in the service of his country February 21st, 1945 in Italy
Annually awarded to the member of the graduating class who,
In the judgment of classmates,
Because of scholarship, leadership, character and loyalty,
Gave fullest promise of attaining the ideals of the medical profession
So brilliantly forecast in the life of
Doctor William H. Millmann
Presented to
John T. McAllister
2010


Look at the camera, John! (The official version of this photo will not be available in time to post, so here is the knock-off)


Here are the 194 graduating med students taking the Hippocratic Oath.


I was first in line to smooch the new doctor.


John's proud momma. She was the inspiration behind John's career choice.


We were excited to get all 4 parents here for graduation. Babbel parents on the left, McAllister parents on the right.


We still can't believe med school is over and John got his diploma!


Here they are folks, your future doctors.

8 comments:

Bethany said...

Hahaha! I cracked up at your last comment! Big congrats on the fancy new initials and award John.

BWei said...

Congratulations to both John and you--woohoo! And I am not surprised at the award either (and of course, if John HADN'T been surprised, he wouldn't have been the type to get the award in the first place :-)). Now on to residency! Are ya'll doing anything fun in between school and residency?

stephanie itri said...

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!!

B&K said...

Congrats John!!! and I am not surprised by the award either... a perfect description of Dr. McAllister! :) That's awesome, congrats again...now here comes internship!!!
~Kyle

McAllister Family said...

Congrats Dr. John! We are so proud of you! What a good looking family you guys have! We love you to pieces! xoxo from Texas.

Mary Jane said...

When Karisa told me in March that John was one of 5 students nominated for the big award and read me the description of the award — best exemplifies the characteristics of the ideal physician, thoughtful care of patients, enthusiastic acquisition of skills and knowledge — I thought that it sounded like a perfect description of John! It's great that John's classmates thought the same thing!

Tim and Sara said...

I would say you guys are still young, naive, and full of hope for a bright new future. Congratulations to both of you!

Shapiro said...

Those are classic pictures! My favorites?: the one of John shaking hands to get his award (he looks like the hottest med student too!), the one of you with him first in line to smooch, the one of your dad looking at his diploma (I think that's my favorite of all! What a fun guy!), and the foosball doctor champions!!! Woohoo! That is wonderful. I, too, am not surprised that John got that award... describes him to a "T" in all his lifetime, he has been that way... a servant, knowing the healer's art in all aspects, in all situations! We love you guys, you make us smile!!! :)