April 3, 2010

Good News and Bad News

The good news first: WE BOUGHT A HOUSE! I know, we can't believe it either. John and I keep pinching ourselves.

It's a cute brick Cape Cod style home. 4 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms.


Here's a sneak preview of our new kitchen. Sunny and spacious.


And here's our cheery front room.

There are about 85 more pictures we could post, but we'll leave it at these 3 for now. (That way, you have to visit us to see the rest of the house!) We're really excited though-- it is located in a fun neighborhood, there are 3 parks right by our home, several public and private schools nearby, and 19 children aged 5 and under on our block. All the homes in the area are starter homes so there are a lot of young couples our age living there, and the homes are all cute, unique, and in nice condition. The backyards are all connected, and evidently the kids run from yard to yard everyday to play. We think it will be perfect for us.

Here's the only bad news: Last night we found out our closing date (the date we can move in), and... it's April 23. I'm due with Waldo on either April 25 (according to my doctor) or April 30 (according to Mother Nature). Either way, we'll be cutting it REALLY CLOSE. Moving is tiring and stressful to begin with, but the thought of a big move just 2 days before I'm due with our baby makes me very anxious! I tossed and turned all last night envisioning the worst-case scenarios. We were hoping to move in during the 1st or 2nd week of April (when I'd only be 37 weeks pregnant, instead of 39 weeks pregnant), but the type of mortgage loan we're getting stipulates that we can only move in 2 months before John's start date for his residency. (He'll start on June 23rd, hence the April 23rd closing date.) We tried to get an exception to move in earlier, but it was declined.

Oh well-- usually John and I aren't gamblers, but we are going ahead with this plan. Benson was born exactly on his due date, and all the girls in my family are either on time or late with their babies-- no one has ever delivered early. Even if John and I only have a few days in the house before the baby comes, we can still get a lot accomplished in those few days. And we'd rather move before the baby comes instead of after.

And if Waldo decides to surprise us and come early, then... we'll be thrilled to meet him! Plus, my personal motto is "anything for a good story," and that will be one crazy story.

19 comments:

Wendy said...

HOW EXCITING...and scary!!! First off congratulations on the house! Don't worry too much about moving preggo, We moved half way across the country (MD to TN) when I was 7 months preggo. I was nervous, but it all worked our, and I survived, you will too!!!!

JulieAnn said...

Yay that's great! Congrats! You're cutting it pretty close to the deadline for the tax credit too. Good luck, and this is the only time I've said this to a pregnant person, but I hope your baby is overdue. :)

KevandChels said...

I thought that motto changed after you got bitten by that dog on the mission:) Anyway, I'm sure everything will fall right into place~

Ruth said...

Congrats!!!! Your house looks so cute! Will you guys be still in the branch? We'd love to have you in Parkway!
Remember- everything always works out as it should- even if its crazy in the moment. Good luck!

Joy and Ted said...

Congrats!! LOVE the house!! It looks adorable, but please tell me that photo was taken months ago and there isn't still snow on the ground. I'm excited for you and I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Can't wait to visit someday!

Katie said...

How crazy and exciting! Looks like a cute place... if it had been in Rhinelander, we might have had a bidding war:) Congrats!!

Janet said...

Congratulations! The house is beautiful. That is pretty stressful, the idea of moving while giving birth, but I'm sure you will get through it. And no matter what, it will all be a distant memory a couple months later when you are enjoying both your baby and your house. Good luck!

T & E's Blog said...

Oh my gosh, I absolutely love it! And I am sooooooooo homesick for Milwaukee!!!!!!!!!! What neighborhood is it? I miss our old house sooooooooooo much!!!! I hope we can visit soon!!

chrisw said...

Congrats on the house and good luck with the baby!
BTW-I am Leah, John's cousin Chris Williamson's wife, Stephanie Williamson's SIL. Chris is interviewing for a job in South Milwaukee this coming weekend so we were excited to hear that if we took the job we would know someone (sort of:) in the area! That you are relatives is an extra bonus!

Leah said...

Sorry, didn't realize that Chris was logged in...

Jessica and Todd said...

Your house is so cute!! We are so excited you guys are staying here:) If you need any help with packing/moving give us a holler.

Jackie said...

What a cute place! I love it.

And high fives on being grown-ups! I'll pray Waldo cooperates with your grown-up plans.

We Are Family! said...

Congrats...what an exciting time for you guys! It is hard to believe you are almost due. It doesn't seem like long ago we had dinner together and you weren't too far along. :)

David Madsen said...

Congratulations! Enjoy your new home and all the fun and responsibility that comes with it. So John, are you going to take some DIY classes at the Home Depot? Got your tool box ready? Welcome to the world of homeownership!

hagsbabs said...

You were right--Babbel girls, on average, have kids late. #1 was 10 days late, #3 was 4 days late. But #2 was 4 days early. Pack faster! The 23rd will be here before you know it!

Bradbury Bunch said...

HOoray for the HOUSE! It looks beautiful! I LOVE that kitchen floor and all the windows! We would love to see more pictures!! :)

And sorry about the bad news- we'll keep you in our prayers! I'm amazed at how similar our stories are...we wanted to move in early too while NIck had time off and while we could keep all our stuff at the apartment complex. But we were declined as well, and had to move our stuff in, and paint around it! So much work, but turned out great. Wasn't ideal-but we managed. Wish we could fly out to help...but instead-we'll keep you in our prayers! Good luck with the delivery! CAN'T WAIT TO MEET WALDO! :)

The Sorensens said...

Congrats, and good luck keeping that baby inside!

McAllister Family said...

Moving and a baby at the same time is crazy but if anyone can do it it's you! We'll be praying for you. Sure wish we could be there to help. Your house is beautiful! I am so excited for you guys! Hopefully the timing will all work out perfectly. It will be fun to bring home your new baby to such a cute house!

Anonymous said...

Adorable house! Love all the light that seems to shine in from the windows. Bet you can't wait to decorate and get settled in! Can't wait to see the final results (on house and baby!) Good luck!