March 30, 2010

Butterflies Don't Bite

John got off early yesterday, so he joined Benson and me at the Milwaukee Public Museum. We spent a lot of time in the tropical butterfly room. It's pretty wild in there!


Imagine a sweltering room with about 400 kamikaze butterflies swooping, flailing, and nose-diving right at your face. You (okay, I) have to fight to stay composed and not swat all the butterflies away! I know this is terrible, because they are cute innocent bugs, and this is their home and not mine, but this room honestly freaks me out.


A lot of times, they land on you, and you're not supposed to flinch. (This is Benson's head.)


"Benson, we are going to catch a butterfly if it kills us!"


Look closely-- I got one! I may look like nature girl in this picture, but I was inwardly trembling! I have never caught a butterfly before. I feel this pressure to set an example for Benson to not be squeamish about bugs, so I did this for him. (He seemed mildly impressed.) I hope to earn some mom points for this one.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

I just bought a spider puppet from Ikea for Penny-- for the same reason that maybe she won't inherit my squeamishness. :)

Jocelyn Pehrson said...

I saw my first spider this year.. in the bathroom... while I was going to the bathroom. I screamed like a little girl, made Cody kill it and didn't go back in there for awhile. Talmage watched the whole thing. Hmmm. I should consider being a little more brave too, so Tal doesn't scream like a little girl every time he sees a bug.

Tim and Sara said...

Hahahahaha that is the same face you make when Dirk wildly greets you at the door and starts trying to lick your face. Way to go, Karisa!

BWei said...

Too funny--I feel the same way about the butterfly house (we have one in Georgia at Callaway Gardens). I wish that I had been stoic on the roach front for Clara, but alas, that battle is already lost and Clara, although not nearly as freaked out by roaches as I am, will occasionally yell, "A roach!!" in a squeamish voice. The things we hope our kids learn/won't learn from us...

Mary Jane said...

I love the wonder on Benson's face in the first picture!