February 8, 2010

Cookie Monsters

One of my speech pathology professors warned me when I was pregnant with Benson, "as soon as you have your son, weekend nights will become really boring! Make sure you get your fill of fun while you still can." Now, I think she may have been more of a partier than me, but I understood her point-- life goes more in the slow lane when a child is involved.

But I LOVE IT! Really! And I'm not just in denial!

I mean, this is FUN. Here I am with my two favorite people on a Saturday night, having a ball trying to teach Benson how to decorate Valentine's cookies.


Benson helped us roll out the dough and cut out circle shapes. (He's been practicing his shapes lately.) Then after the cookies were baked, John and I spread the frosting while Benson put M&M's on top. I'm not sure what percentage of M&M's actually made it onto the cookies (instead of into Benson's mouth)-- maybe about 50%. And these weren't the most hygienic cookies either--I guess that's what happens when a toddler is helping. But it was a funny, fun family activity, and Benson did well for his first stab at cookie decorating. We spent Sunday handing them all out-- Benson brought in some cookies for his church nursery, he dropped some more off for a friend's birthday, and he gave out the rest during a church fireside where John and I spoke.

My professor's comment has stayed with me over the past 2 years, but I don't really want to accept it! I don't want life to become dull or humdrum, just because we have a child. (It should be the opposite, in fact.) Weekend nights are different than they were before John and I became parents, but Benson gives us a fresh, amusing outlook on the simple things in life. I love that boy.

4 comments:

Mary Jane said...

I love how serious Benson is about getting this task done!

Stephanie said...

I'm pretty confident in saying that I don't think your lives will EVER be boring. Not possible! Y'all are just way too much fun. :)

ANDERSON'S said...

How fun! I agree with Stephanie's comment. You guys are too fun. I love it!

Lynn said...

those cookies were yummy! kaden preferred the m&ms too.