January 14, 2010

Residency News

Folks, get out your cheeseheads and brats, because we are moving to...

MILWAUKEE!
Actually, we're staying in Milwaukee-- John got accepted to the ophthalmology residency here, so we get to remain in our beautiful frozen paradise for 4 more years!



We really do love Wisconsin-- we've had such a positive experience here with med school, with the inner city church we attend, with hundreds of friends we've made, and with all the entertainment and activities this city has to offer. The prospect of leaving it all behind was very sad, so we were thrilled today when John got his phone call from the Eye Institute here to welcome him aboard. Milwaukee is definitely our speed of city-- friendly, diverse, big but not enormous, and an amazing amount of city pride. We're happy we get to stay!



Now, we're feeling very grown up and we're going to start hunting for a house! We'll move from our rented 2 bedroom loft to a 3-4 bedroom house of our own! According to the sign above, the heating bill may cost us $1000 each month, but at least we'll be be happy and in a city we love!

HOORAY FOR JOHN!
HOORAY FOR MILWAUKEE!
HOORAY FOR CHEESE AND FROZEN CUSTARD!

17 comments:

Chelsea said...

Hooray!! Isn't it great to know what you'll be doing in the future-- at least in a general sense?
I'm glad he's going to be an ophthalmologist. For me, it's one of those jobs that I'm highly grateful someone is there to do it, and I'm even more grateful it's not me. Eyes give me the heebie jeebies. (This coming from someone who had LASIK. I still can't believe that was me.)
Good luck, and have fun house hunting!

Jana said...

We are so excited for you guys. John will be a wonderful ophthalmologist, I would go to him! :) I hope Karisa is doing well with the pregnancy. We miss you guys and hope to see you soon.

T & E's Blog said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are sooooooo excited!!!!!! Hey, you could have bought our house!!!
Well, we are glad there is someone to stay with when we come visit...in the summer. Congrats, John! That is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!

Danielle said...

Wow $1,000 heating bill? I guess I should be grateful for Texas weather! I thought you were going to say you were coming to Texas....

Jocelyn Pehrson said...

Wahoo! We get to keep the McCallisters around for a bit longer! YES! That is most excellent news to my ears! I really was trying not to get sad thinking about you guys leaving. But hey! Congrats are in store and maybe a celebration? See you around friends.

kimberly said...

Wow!!! Congrats! We'll have to call soon and hear all about the program, etc! :-)

Jackie said...

Congrats! I'm so glad you get to stay in a city you love, and what a bonus that it's full of delicious cheese. :)

Shapiro said...

Congratulations Cheese heads! :) I love your posts you guys... you really help us capture the essence of YOU! (SO FUN!) And now the whole family can come visit and invest in some cheese head hats that we can walk around in together, arm in arm.
I think it is pretty incredible that 302 out of 324 did NOT match in Ophthalmology residency, so that means John is one of the chosen few. What an honor. We are excited for your house hunt and wish you well. We love you and can't wait for all of your future adventures ahead! Congrats you guys! We love you!!!!!

hagsbabs said...

So now we definitely need to learn how to spell ophthalmology. Pretty soon I'll be able to spell it as fast as I can spell Ljubljana! Hey, what's the comment above mine that that vast majority didn't match? Is that true? If so, is that normal?

Kim Cannon said...

I don't know if you remember me, but we have met a few times. I am a friend of Chelsea Rowan's. We used to live in Chambers with them. My husband matched last year here at MCW in ENT. We bought a house in West Allis. I would love to talk to you about your house hunt if you need any ideas. We just went through it last year, and we have a great realtor too. Email me at khcannonatgmaildotcom

John and Karisa said...

Just to clarify the numbers thing from Catherine Shapiro, my sister (I gave her unclear information):

We estimated that over 300 people were interviewed in total by the 7 programs that I interviewed with. There were 26 spots available between those 7 programs. That means of the people that interviewed at those programs, only 26 of us would match in those specific programs. However, most people who interview, do so at multiple programs, so they all had many chances where I didn't interview. So it only means that the majority of interviewees did not match at these specific programs I interviewed with.

The overall statistic is that 59% of all applicants, and 70% of all people who were interviewed last year matched successfully. The explanation: applicants applied to 50 programs on average, so there is a lot of redundancy in the system.

The miracle for me is that my application numerically was not nearly as strong as most applicants. I consider it an incredible miracle from the Lord that I matched. I know we are where we need to be.

-John

John and Karisa said...

And I'm SO grateful!

John and Karisa said...

Thanks for all of your support, prayers, and enthusiasm for us! We love and appreciate you all.

Grossarths said...

So exciting! We love Wisconsin as well. Yay for Cheese curds and crazy cheesehead fans! Let us know when we can get together!

Bradbury Bunch said...

WOO-HOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL!!! WOW! 2010 IS FULL OF LOTS OF ADVENTURES FOR YOUR FAMILY!!! (starting residency, buying a home, having a baby,) AWESOME!!! Looking forward to reading all about it on your blog! :)

Geez, it seems like just yesterday we were opening Nick's letter to find out we've been matched at Mercy Fitz (however, it didn't specify which Mercy Fitz it was. There's one in Phili and in Pittsburgh-where he interviewed at both)

It's such a roller coaster of emotions. At least it was for us. When we did find out we were staying, we were happy, but we were also hoping for a NEW adventure at that time....NOW I KNOW that I couldn't possibly be happier anywhere else! The Lord knows best and he testified that (yet again)to us on Match Day and the days after.

Good luck with the house hunting! That is so fun---I feel like you're walking in our shoes. If you have any questions about ANYTHING we're here. (maybe not with the answer--but we'll still be here for you LOL)

I'll have to make sure you're added to the Residency wife blog too.

WELCOME TO RESIDENCY WORLD!!
ROCK. ON.

McAllister Family said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys! I didn't doubt for a second that John would match. What a blessing! Prayers are answered! You will be an excellent ophthalmologist, John! Wow...I never knew that was how you spelled ophthalmologist until now. :) Love you guys!
PS-I haven't been on your blog in SO long...been a little busy...Karisa you look so cute! Are you seriously pregnant? Wish I was that cute when I'm pregnant. :) Love the name choices. Can't wait to meet the little guy.

Julie and Jesse said...

That's so awesome!!! Congrats! I'm sure our heating bills will be very similar...Canada gets just as cold, if not colder!