June 12, 2009

FULLY LICENSED!

This may look like a normal envelope, but it's much more than that. It's actually one of the most anticipated, exciting letters I've ever sent out-- it contains my completed forms and evaluations saying that I'm ready to be a fully-licensed Speech Language Pathologist! There's an internship that you do after grad school in order to be fully licensed, and I finished mine yesterday. The internship is called a Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY), and in it you have a supervisor who meets with you, observes you, and evaluates you (18 times throughout the 9 month period). Once you've finished all of the requirements, you get your Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC). When you have your CCC, it basically means that you are able to go out anywhere and practice on your own. It really opens doors to have it.


In order to complete my masters and CFY (both finished after Benson was born), I've done a lot of different things:

1) I finished up classes while John watched Benson (1 month)
2) I was a stay-at-home mom (3 months)
3) I worked part-time while a babysitter watched Benson (5 months)
4) I worked full-time while Benson went to daycare (5 months)

Now that I'm all done with my requirements, I'm going to be a stay-at-home mom again. My sister pointed out that I've basically tried every option moms have, and now I'll be able to relate to any mom in the world! So if you are ever considering any of these, you can talk to me! My favorites on that list were #2 and #3. I would love to do part-time work in the future, and just go in to work twice a week. I think I could sustain that until I'm 90. When I worked part-time, it felt really good to get dressed up and get out of the house a few hours a week to work on my own thing. I came home refreshed and recharged as a mom. It was my outlet. (I think it's healthy for all moms to have an outlet to get a break, whether it's reading or exercising or talking to friends or shopping or cooking or working.) I'm not going to work this next year (we're moving next May, and we're traveling a lot these next few months), but I may pick up a part-time job wherever we move.

My last day of my CFY (yesterday) coincided with the last day of school at the elementary school where I've worked. I was filled with mixed emotions. ("I'm DONE!" mixed with "I'm never going to see these kids or coworkers again," mixed with "Now I can stay HOME WITH BENSON!") I honestly think speech pathology is the best job in the world. I love working with my kiddos, and it is the most rewarding feeling to watch them gradually overcome their speech/language challenges. It gives them so much more confidence-- instead of being embarrassed every time they speak, they can say what they want and let their true personalities come out.

And honestly, who wouldn't love a job if it involved sweethearts like these?




As I was saying goodbye to my kids and leaving school yesterday, I kept tearing up. I can't believe it's over! I've loved working with the kids, and I think they really liked me too.


I was still feeling kind of blue when I arrived at daycare to pick up Benson for the last time. I walked through the door to find Benson immediately at my knees. (He had been waiting at the door for me for who knows how long.) He shouted, "MOMMA!" and I melted. Tears came to my eyes again, this time they were happy ones. I'm thrilled that I get to be a full-time mom now and spend more time with my little man.

11 comments:

Lisa C said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! That's huge! I admire you!

Tim and Sara said...

Great job, Karisa! You're an awesome mom and speech pathologist and friend! :)

Ruth said...

Congratulations. Its amazing how many YEARS it takes to be done with school plus internships. Now you have so many options!! Your little boy is so cute by the way!

Mary Jane said...

We're so proud of you!
Love,
Mom and Dad

Frederickson said...

Karisa,

We loved your write-up of the experience, with all of its many facets. It is wonderful to have gone through it all and remained in tact, with the competing demands on your time Your whole family, and many other lives will be enriched by your efforts and training, which will translate into other areas of your life as well. Congratulations!!!

Love,
Dad and Mom

Katie said...

Congrats Karisa! It is a long road but you stuck with it:) I love that speech and occupational therapists usually have the flexibility in their jobs to choose to work part time... I hope to do that someday again too:)

Sook said...

Good for you, Karisa! You're amazing! I remember you telling me you wanted to be a speech therapist when we were companions. That's so cool that you got to achieve that goal. Not a lot of people do that! I am also glad that you get to stay home with Benson! That's great! Congrats!

Blossom Art said...

Karisa,
Congratulations on your HUGE achievement! I wish we lived closer so that you could be Finn's speach therapist. Best of luck with the future ahead! :)
James, Suymey, Maeve, Finn & Colten Benson

Janice said...

Congratulations, Karisa! We are really proud of you and very excited for you, too! Well Done!
Love,
Mom and Dad Mc

KevandChels said...

AWESOME! You did it, and with style and grace! Congrats! We're excited you'll be home so we can call you during the day:)...oh, and so you can be with the Bensonator!

Shapiro said...

You are an inspiration and all are lucky to feel of your love K-Mac!
Go boogie this weekend in celebration. You are awesome!