
We did the old 1-2 with birthdays this past week. Right after celebrating Benson turning one, we quickly turned around and whipped up a birthday celebration for John. He is now in the prestigious 27 Club.

To celebrate, we did a double birthday date with our favorite Californians, Sara and Tim. (Tim has a birthday this week too.) We ate at Maxie's Southern Comfort restaurant, and feasted on fried green tomatoes, cornbread, jambalaya, sweet potato fries, collard greens, key lime pie... Mmm. It made us all want to move to Alabama.

I'm going to show the presents Benson and I got for John in order of excitement. This one is definitely the most boring-- a reusable lunch bag. Before you become concerned about our marriage though, let me just explain that John's last lunch bag was THRASHED. After 3 years of daily use, it had several holes, the stuffing was falling out, and we were worried that a family of cockroaches might be living inside.

A little bit cooler was the Andrea Bocelli CD, which I overheard John mention that he wanted. He loves to sing the song "Time To Say Goodbye" at the top of his lungs while I accompany on the piano, so I decided to buy John a recording of it. We feel like our family culture quotient increases every time we play the CD.

A few manly movies won me lots of points with John.

And behind door #4 was the most exciting gift... A BRAND NEW BABY BIKE SEAT! Now all 3 of us can go biking together! I debated for a while about getting a front seat or a rear seat (pros and cons to each), but finally settled on the front seat. Both John and Benson love it-- John can be Benson's tour guide ("look at the doggie!" or "we stop at the stop sign") while Benson has fun going everywhere so fast and having the wind blow across his face. (I mean, we're guessing based on his facial expressions, but he hasn't told us this exactly.)

We had our cousins, the Taylors, come over for John's cake and ice cream. Norm is John's first cousin, and his wife Pam and their 6 kids are a big reason why we decided to come out to med school here. It's been
so nice living close to them! Unfortunately, they are moving to Boston in 2 months so Norm can do a residency at Hahvahd (Harvard), and we are REALLY GOING TO MISS THEM! We'll just have to follow them to Harvard, I guess.

Several of the Taylors have April birthdays as well, so we put tons of candles on the cake (chocolate chip pound cake) to celebrate
everyone's April birthday. And no, we did not burn down the house!
Happy Birthday Beefcake! Sure love you.
7 comments:
Hee Hee, I still remember listening to you guys jam on the piano/vocals when we shared a wall :)
Happy Birthday!
Beefcake! Kare bear and B-man! I love all these pictures! You guys are awesome. You do a good job giving us fun tastes of your lives! We wish we lived closer so we could take a quick road trip to see YOU!
Love you guys!
So fun to celebrate with you guys, as always.
The picture of Benson on the bike with his helmet is really adorable. BTW, we really love the Central Station youtube video on your blog. Dave showed it to a professor friend of his from Belgium and the man was really confused! He said they usually don't act like that in Belgium!
Happy birthday Beefcake! And happy birthday Benson! Looks like you had some great celebrations! Karisa, I'm quite impressed with your cake creating skills! Both cakes looked awesome! Benson's was amazing! What a fun party too! It was so fun to talk to you guys the other night. We sure love you!
Hi Karisa, I've been wondering about a baby bike seat, what brand do you recommend (we are budget oriented, keep that in mind)? I gave Skyler a mountain bike for his 07 b-day (and a matching one for me) and he only used it once! I'm sure he'll have an additional motivation to ride it this summer if he has his little girl with him! :)
Post a Comment