December 18, 2008

Three Years of Marital Bliss

Yesterday was our 3-year wedding anniversary! We made it!


This is what John and I looked like 3 years ago. Not bad. This is one of our favorite wedding pictures, for 3 reasons:
1) Why is there a chopper on the temple grounds?
2) Who's bike is this?
3) Why did we climb on it for a picture?


This is what John and I look like now, after 3 years of marital bliss. (Honestly, we usually look much better than this-- the camera added about 10 pounds and one extra chin to each of us.) We took this picture yesterday during our lunch break date. We had 25 minutes in the middle of the day where I took a break from work and John took a break from school, and we met up at our favorite not-fast-food-but-still-pretty-fast restaurant, The City Market. It was delicious, and REALLY fun. I smiled and laughed so much during lunch that my cheeks hurt afterwards, which definitely reminded me of our wedding day.


For our 1st and 2nd anniversaries, we took little road trips to celebrate, but because of John's crazy school schedule this year, we decided to keep this anniversary simple and local. We went to Benihana's for dinner-- I get so jazzed watching those amazing Japanese chefs whip up our meals right in front of us.


"Mom, why can't you prepare meals that way?"



Here we are eating the masterpiece. Last night, I was converted to not only to shrimp, but mushrooms too! (Those are two foods I've steered clear of before, but the chef put them on my plate, so I ate them and they were scrumptious.) It was a really fun date, and it made us feel like we'd traveled to Japan to celebrate our anniversary, instead of downtown Milwaukee.

The best part of our anniversary celebration was reading our journal entries about our dating, engagement, and wedding. We cracked up at our different reactions to our wedding morning.

KARISA: "At 5AM on the day of the wedding, my alarm clock went off and I bounced out of bed and got into my bubble bath. I exfoliated and scrubbed and lathered like never before. I even shaved my toes. It was kind of a surreal feeling as I looked at myself in the mirror while getting ready and said to myself, 'Karisa, today is DECEMBER 17, 2005. You're getting married today.' Tara and Tyson came into the room to ask what I wanted for breakfast, and since I had thrown up 8 times the night before, we decided just toast and bananas would be best. My hairdresser came over at 7:00 to do my 'do, and we chatted pleasantly as if everything was just normal. I got everything else ready with calm nerves and felt really happy."

JOHN: "I woke up around 7, and I just sat and thought. I took a shower at some point, and I got some food, and then I went back to sit down on the couch and think about the significance of the day. I talked to Paul for a while about marriage. Then I read my scriptures and prayed and thought some more." (EDITOR'S NOTE: John was 30 minutes late for our wedding.)

Anyway, it was fun remembering the day, and I am amazed that 3 years have already passed. It's been the happiest, funniest, most exciting 3 years of my life. Thanks John for being the best. I hope eternity lasts a long time!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

oh wow! congrats on 3 years! you two are perfect togethere!

Anonymous said...

You guys are the cutest couple ever! I really hope that we will get to see each other again someday. Maybe at a reunion or something. :) My mother-in-law won a nice sports car, perfumes, an end table, a trip to San Diego, a red carpet event, $10,000 jet ski. She won everything they offered, pretty much. She won the showcase. You could go online and see it too, I think.

Elise said...

Hey Karisa! We were just driving near the place you guys had your reception and I was reminiscing about the black napkin scandal. You and John are a fabulous couple. Congrats!