
John opened the door to leave our house last night, and as soon as he opened it, he heard a fast flapping of wings and saw a black whir of something trying to get through our door. John screamed (a tough, manly scream, but still a scream) and slammed the door. After regaining his composure for a minute, he reopened the door to find...

A BAT! (Okay, so this isn't from my camera. This is National Geographic. I couldn't get a picture. It's a house bat though, so it looks similar to ours.)

John bravely followed the bat down the stairwell, past our downstairs neighbors' door, and saw it fly into our basement (the laundry room). The frying pan is John's only weapon.

John, our two downstairs neighbors, and I all went down to the basement to catch the bat and send it outside. (Benson was sleeping upstairs.) Unfortunately, we couldn't find it. We banged on all of the rafters and vents to rattle the bat out of hiding, but after 20 minutes of looking, we gave up. The bat was hidden in a really good spot.
So, that's where we are now! The bat is still in the basement. There's a local bat catcher who will hopefully come over today to get rid of it. John is currently working with a surgeon who was bitten by a bat last week-- it was in his shed, they had a scuffle, and at the end the surgeon had 2 bite marks on the back of his neck. (shudder.) He's had to get a round of rabies shots. So John and I have decided to stop trying to catch the bat and leave the job to the professional bat man. I'm really curious to see what he looks like and what kind of personality he has.
2 comments:
scary! I'm glad no one got bitten!
Bats in the basement? Aren't you supposed to have bats in the attic?
Post a Comment