April 9, 2014

Shedd Aquarium

The boys and I took a spontaneous trip down to Chicago the other day.  Cole has been a bit obsessed with ocean creatures lately-- sharks, whales, jellyfish, octopus, and sea turtles encompass about 75% of our daily conversations-- so I decided it was time to pay another visit to the Shedd Aquarium.  (Plus, we wanted to meet up with my bro-in-law Evan, who was in town for a conference.  And it was high time for more Lou Malnati's pizza.  And some Chicago-mix popcorn.)

Hands down the coolest fish we saw all day

Christian was itching to jump in

So majestic-- I'm ready to buy a beluga

"Nickel" was Cole's favorite-- this guy was hit by a motorboat a few years ago, so he has lots of issues with steering and buoyancy now, but Shedd Aquarium has been doing turtle rehab.  (However you do that.)

Some of the jellyfish looked like ghosts, some like wedding dresses, and some like mushrooms.

We waited in line (twice) to pet the sturgeons

We ate our Dippin Dots while watching the dolphins in the underwater observatory

The 4-D show "Dawn of the Dinosaurs" was WAY TOO SCARY for all of us! 

And of course the dolphin show was A.MAZ.ING!  We were entranced!

Now I think I picked the wrong career. Maybe I'll convince one of my boys to become a marine biologist (probably Cole), since I missed the boat.

3 comments:

Mary Jane said...

That looks like an amazing aquarium. I can't wait to discuss sharks with Cole!

Katie said...

So cool! And that sawfish! awesome! Jack loves sawfish since he saw a River Monsters episode where they were were the culprit! I actually made him a stuffed/foam board one so he could be Jeremy Wade for Halloween a few years ago!

Katie said...

Ha! Here is a link to a picture of Jack with his sawfish: http://3kidsandavan.blogspot.com/2012/11/halloween.html

I am going to have to show him the picture! He'll wanna go to the aquarium!