I am bursting my buttons. My sister Elise just helped write a book!
I read "Choosing Motherhood" last week, and the book was very inspiring for me. Basically, it's a collection of 16 essays about being a mom. The essays were honest, witty, down-to-earth, and filled with ideas. I laughed out loud, read huge segments to John, discussed the essays with friends, and during some parts I cried. I didn't agree with everything that every woman said, but I learned a lot from reading the different viewpoints and experiences.
Since giving birth to Benson 5 years ago, I have been in graduate school, a stay-at-home mom, a full-time worker, and a part-time worker. There are (obviously) pros and cons to each of those choices. I felt like I could relate to all of the essays in the book, since the book had mothers from all walks of life. Some worked, some stayed home, some were in school, some lived abroad, some had 14 kids, some didn't really like kids, some had kids with special needs, etc. There is something in this book for everyone. All of the contributers to the book are very educated and career-oriented women, and they each had to grapple with motherhood and decide what was best for their family situation and needs.
This book helped me solidify some of my own ideas and ideals about mothering. Every morning I would read 1-2 essays (they just took a few minutes to read), and then I'd go about my day rejuvenated and energized as a mom.
Anyway, I highly recommend this book for all women. And it's not just because Elise helped write it and I'm biased. Copies are about $10, and they are being sold now on Amazon and Deseret Book, just in time for Mother's Day.

1 comment:
Looking forward to it! We should plan a play date. Or trip to the zoo with the boys. Miss seeing you guys. Have a great easter!!
Post a Comment