Easter Seals (where I work) just had a big walkathon this weekend.
The proceeds from "Walk With Me" went to children's services within our Birth-3 program. It really is satisfying (and kind of heartbreaking sometimes) to do speech therapy with disabled little kiddos. I love helping the underdogs catch up, or at least to make good strides.
Before the walk, we listened to some speakers-- mostly people with disabilities (or their families) telling personal stories. We also watched donors make their grand awards with gigantic checks. Thank you to everyone who donated so generously to our team. We raised over $90,000 that night! Wowzas!
The walk went along Lake Michigan and was only a mile, which seemed kind of short to me, but then I realized there'd be participants in wheelchairs and with other disabilities. About 500 people showed up for the event.
Here's Team McAllister
If we're desperate enough, this will also be our Christmas picture!
Cole's shirt-dress is only missing a stylish belt.
It was a gorgeous day for a walk. Days like this are why we live in WI.
Our dramatic Cole literally crawled across the finish line!
I promise don't think we are crazy parents. Cole just got tired of walking occasionally and would lie down to rest on the sidewalk. When we'd pick him up to carry him, he'd yell, "No! I want to walk!" He despises strollers and always prefers walking. (It could be a worse issue.)
After the walk, we found this cool fountain for the boys to splash in.
I wonder what age they'll stop holding hands. They do it everywhere we go, and I love it!
Here's to a night filled with all sorts of cute kids.
2 comments:
Looks awesome! We would have walked with you!
Really cool! Jared did a prelim year, so he actually has one more year of residency and is thinking about possibly doing a fellowship. :) How about you guys?
Post a Comment