After my parents became empty-nesters, my mom decided to use the extra time to return to college and pursue a degree in organ performance. She has practiced the organ 2-3 hours a day for the past 5 years, and she's finally ready to graduate (summa cum laude!). I flew to Philly last weekend for my mom's senior organ recital. (My 3 boys stayed at home for male bonding time-- more on that later.)
We kicked off the weekend with presents and cake for dad's birthday.
("Hey Quin, you made me a Lego space shuttle! It's perfect! Exactly what I wanted.")
That hat my dad is wearing was another birthday present. Suh-weet!
A bunch of our Neuenswander cousins drove over from Ohio for the big weekend. That's Tara (my big sis), Kira, and Heidi.
Each of the 6 candles on my dad's cake represented 10.5 years of life.
1 treadmill
5 cousins who need to work out at the same time
No problem
C'mon, synchronize boys! Left! Right! Left! Right!
Those jokers also put state trooper signs all around the house. They kept trying to give us speeding tickets!
I got triple-teamed in foozball. (The sign that the boys made for the football table said "Spin Limit: 5")
That's Zaya, Caleb, and Alistair pictured above.
My best bud Joy took a train up from Richmond for the occasion. (That's Elise, Joy, me, and Tara.) It was so great to catch up with Joy. Phone calls and emails are nice, but real live person is much better.
Here is some of the cheering squad a few minutes before my mom's organ concert started. About 95 of my mom's friends and family came for the big show. She could have gotten a lot more if she had advertised better, but we didn't feel like renting the Astrodome, and my mom didn't tell many people because she didn't want them to feel obligated to come. (But still, it was a pretty large group for her minimal advertising.)
There she is! (Not Dianne Sawyer, my mom.)
This is a 2-minute clip of what she sounded like during the concert. (This particular song is the Bach "St. Anne's" Fugue.) It was very impressive! Her footwork around 1 minute into this video proves that you have to be an excellent multi-tasker to become an organist. My mom had a very technically difficult program, but she did fabulous. She played 6 pieces, and the concert lasted an hour.
My dad got up at the end of the performance to give my mom flowers (it's always 12 yellow roses + 1 red rose for some reason), and to make a little speech.
My dad's speech was very funny, as usual.
Then all 95 guests drove to our house for dinner.
We actually hired caterers for the event. They were ready to go as soon as we arrived home, with hot delicious food, and everyone wearing crisp tuxedos. We felt like we were in Downton Abbey.
Mmm boy. I'm going to hire caterers more often. The best part was the cleanup afterwards, which was non-existent (for us).
I spent a lot of time staring at this table.
You know the party is hosted by mormons when there's a hot chocolate bar.
My parents put up a big tent outside to accommodate everyone for dinner. Here I am with my cousins Matthew, Kim, Heidi, me, and Kira
It was such a great weekend in Philly, and it was inspiring and exciting to be there for my mom's concert. But I missed my 3 boys terribly! They made some signs of their own for when I arrived home on Sunday night.
Congratulations Mom!
8 comments:
Amazing! I took organ lessons at BYU and was so surprised by how much I LOVED practicing. The organ makes you feel so powerful (it's a big sound!), and I think your mom gave me a great idea for how to spend my empty-nesting years :)
Thanks SO much for sharing so many pictures. I wish I was there, but I'll see your parents soon! I loved seeing the pictures and hearing the clip. Your mom is so amazing! Go AMJ!
So happy I saw all of this in person!! It was awesome to be with you! Love ya!
how wonderful! congrats Sister Babbel!
WOW! That was amazing...pretty soon she'll be playing for the Mo Tab! I loved seeing pictures of everyone and even the good old foos ball table I spent so much time playing. Thanks for sharing!
WOW!!! :) CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR MOTHER!!! That is fabulous. She has been working hard! And what a party weekend! :) She'll have to give some fancy footwork advice and tips and lessons to Marcus - he's been our ward's organist since we moved here. She should put in a request to be (when your parents are ready to go on a mission...) the organist for the Jerusalem Center!!! We had a professional organist and his wife on a mission there and he gave concerts every Sabbath evening for the community - he played on an organ in the chapel that overlooked the entire old city with it's glass windows. He also gave free lessons and helps to students who were interested in practicing on the organ over there - I can't wait to see the multiplying fruits of your moms desires and labors! - Way to go Mom Babbel! and way to be there Karisa - wish we could have all been there to party too. Love you guys!
Fantastic! Congratulations, Sister Babbel!
Thank you Karisa for the great report, oh how I wish I could have been there. Congrats MJ, you are one amazing women. Much Love to all you wonderful Babbels. oxoxoxo
Post a Comment