July 30, 2011

Lessons

We've been busy.  Here are some of the classes our family has taken this summer...

Art class for Benson

So we found out that arts & crafts are generally for girls.  Who knew?  Benson didn't seem to care, and he really enjoyed himself.  Just don't call him a sissy.

Music class for both boys

I don't mean to outsource my children so much, especially for music (I minored in music and play 3 instruments), but this class was much cooler than anything I could do at home.  They had so many fun instruments and international songs that I had never heard of.  I'm not sure how much Cole could recap about the Hungarian folk music discussed during class, but he was delighted to bang, clap, wail, and stomp to the beat.  

We're discovering that Cole is our music boy, and Benson is our nature boy.  

Ballroom Dance lessons for me and John

Last night was our first lesson, and we did the Rumba, Foxtrot, Waltz, Cha-Cha, and Push-Pull.  Our most awkward moment was during the Cha-Cha, when our instructor asked us to demonstrate what we already knew.  We danced around for a minute, showcased a few of our steps, and at the end our instructor said, "yes, some of those moves were... recognizable."  Ouch.

My strategy to convince John to do these ballroom dancing lessons was to give them to him (already paid for) as a Father's Day gift.  What could he say other than "OH!  Wow!  Thanks!"  If John buys me golf clubs for my next birthday, this is why!

3 comments:

Micah C said...

I love giving the dance lessons as a gift. Might have to try it someday.

Shapiro said...

I love these pictures. And I love your strategy. Marcus and I have actually talked about taking dance lessons together, recently. He tried out for the folk dance team when he was at BYU... maybe he still has hard feelings from the rejection ;) I think I may adopt your strategy! ;) Christmas is just around the corner. Watch out Mr. Mambo, here we come! Thanks for the inspiration. I love to read your blog.

Preethi said...

Hahaha - I totally laughed out loud at your last sentence!