October 9, 2010

Potty Training Boot Camp

After 72 hours of seclusion, we have emerged from our home, proud to present to the world its newest potty-trainee!  


Okay, Benson is obviously not perfect at it, but I have to say I think he's got it.  Or he's at least close.  (I know, I know, famous last words...)

We decided to experiment with the "Potty Train Your Child in 3 Days" method.  We used this approach because it's quick, it has a lot of anecdotal success stories, and because I'm always into gimmicks. (Remember my no-pain natural childbirth idea?)  We took Benson underwear shopping, counted down the days (as if this was a countdown to Christmas), and on Thursday as soon as he woke up, Benson put on his fancy new underwear and said goodbye to diapers forever.  (Well, except for night and naps.)  To kickoff our Potty Training Boot Camp, we presented him with gallons of juice.  Since Benson only gets juice at parties and on airplanes, he felt like he had just won the lottery!  

The honeymoon wore off by about 10 AM that morning, when Benson was having accident after accident, and hating that wet feeling on his underwear.  (He'd never felt it before, since diapers absorb moisture.)  We were both ready to throw in the carpet and quit.  Luckily, we kept going.  In addition to all the accidents on Thursday, it was a day full of crying and grumpiness and frustration.  And right before bed, Benson let out a discouraged outburst of "I HATE UNDERWEAR!" I tried to make camping out by the potty fun with endless toys, games, books, puzzles, and DVDs,  but... who am I kidding?! 

His stats for Thursday (Day 1) are: 6 successes and 12 accidents.  Batting .333.

Friday (Day 2) went considerably better-- he was up to 11 successes and just 6 accidents, making his daily batting average .647.

And today (Saturday, Day 3) was by far the best yet!  He's almost batting 1.000.  And he has started to give me warning calls, like "POTTY!" That really helps so we don't have to live our lives waiting in anticipation on the toilet.  Keep in mind, Benson's success is so far only in the contrived setting of being at home, with me hovering, and the potty within 15 feet at all times.  We're going to slooowly make our way back into public.  

Benson got a sticker and gummy bear every time he had a success.  When he gets his sticker chart completely filled, we're celebrating with a pizza party.  (You may notice that's kind of a lot of times to go to the bathroom for just 3 days, but it's due to the bottomless cups of juice.)  

As soon as we're sure we're out of the woods with this, we're going to rent The Rug Doctor and steam-clean everything! Benson also has to detox from all the gummy bears and juice.  And now he has to keep practicing for years so this new skill becomes second nature.  But still, I was pleased with the 3-day method and how well it worked to launch us in the right direction.  This is a HUGE step for Benson.  And it's one of his first real-life lessons on persevering after so much frustration and failure.  

I think we're due for a big celebration.  GO BENSON!

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Man, I love your writing. :)

Congratulations, Benson! Once you go make peace with underwear, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

The Leakes said...

Great post, and also somewhat encouraging. :) This is an aspect of parenting that I am dreading, but if you can get the worst of it over with in three days, I just might consider it. :)

BWei said...

Way to go--we had a similar experience with Clara (deciding to go full-out instead of wearing pull-ups for awhile, etc.). It was so tempting to quit after tears, etc., but it did work. Way to go, Benson!

Bethany said...

Hooray! It's a wonderful thing :). I agree that just biting the bullet and enduring potty hard core for a few days is the way to go. What a big boy you have. Don't you miss the cute little diaper bum? At least you have another baby around to fill in that void.

McAllister Family said...

Way to go Benson! I'm still shocked you let him use the little potty on that beautiful rug! No wonder you will need the Rug Doctor! ;)

Shapiro said...

Woooohooo Benson!!! Way to go Buddy! That is terrific! :) We can't wait to give you a great big hug and high five at Christmas! Maybe we'll share a cup of juice together over it! What a man! Good job buddy bud! We love you!

Stephanie said...

Yay!!! Hail the conquering hero!! (That's for you AND Benson!)

Frederickson said...

Ah, yes... I remember well the month when you were 5 years old and we decided to potty train you... Er, wait, this is a public forum so I won't provide any details!

Love,
Dad